Re: [MiNT] kentry version

>> On 03/25/14 22:02, David Gálvez wrote:
>>>  From sources (sys/mint/kentry.h):
>>>
>>> /* ATTENTION!
>>>   * ----------
>>>   * Every structure size modification *must* increase the major version.
>>>   * Every other modifcation must increase the minor version.
>>>   *
>>>   * major and minor are of type unsigned char. I hope 255 major and minor
>>>   * versions are enough :-)
>>>   */

About the comment above. kentry is a structure with some
substructures, if the size of some of those substructs is modified the
main structure's size changes too, so for my understanding according
to the note above the major number should be increased too. But
looking at the history of sys/mint/kentry.h when this has been done it
was increased the minor number.

http://sparemint.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/freemint/sys/mint/kentry.h.diff?r1=1.30&r2=1.31

Also there were some changes in the main kentry structure adding two
more substructs and again only the minor was changed.

http://sparemint.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/freemint/sys/mint/kentry.h.diff?r1=1.33&r2=1.34

In some reverted change from ozk he added some reserve space to some
of the substructs and on that occasion he increased the major number.

http://sparemint.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/freemint/sys/mint/kentry.h.diff?r1=1.34&r2=1.35

I think the comment above should be more specific when major and minor
should be increased. What is exaclty a "structure size modification"?.
Is it something subjective and it depends of the importance of those
size changes?