Re: [MiNT] rpm

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Henk Robbers <h.robbers@chello.nl> wrote:
You seem to forget that most programs only need parts of libraries.
It could be possible that your programs use different parts of
each library.
The memory inefficiency of static linking depends on the size
of the part of the library used by all programs.

Static linking might not be as inefficient as most people think.

Great point, Henk. I did test this theory few months ago: I tried to link zView (~10 C/C++ libs) with ELF and then strip it to the TOS format, I saved only 16 KB against a.out.

Besides, when was the last time you told yourself something like "Damn! I wish I had a dynamic library system in FreeMiNT so I could update this painfully failing 100 applications at once"? I, as N Atari developer, remember having a situation when *two* apps needed to be recompiled at once because of a fix in Mintlib.

Static a.out is really just fine.

My two cents about RPM: even though maanke wouldn't make an installer for another package system, RPM is doomed to hell in Freemint's case IMHO. No cross compiling, terrible and lengthy meta syntax... A simple tar.gz as in Gentoo's case is more than enough.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org