[Freemint-list] Interesting github project / ressurection

Jo Even Skarstein joska at online.no
Tue Jan 24 17:57:07 MSK 2017

Den 24.01.2017 13:53, skrev Vincent Rivière:

> IMHO, that concept is *the* ultimate thing to do. A system like Wine
> which allows to transparently run TOS programs on a host OS, without
> the
> burden of a full-blown hardware emulator. It is the way I would like to
> run old Atari software nowadays (if any). Combined to a JIT CPU
> emulator, it would provide ultimate speed. And full memory protection.

Personally I think this is a step in the wrong direction. There are very
few TOS/GEM applications that are better than what we have on modern
platforms,
so why would you want to use them under Windows or Linux? In the general
case
this is a completely uninteresting solution. Technically interesting -
yes. And
almost certainly a lot of fun to implement. But of very little use.

Let's face it, this platform has not been for "productive" use for many,
many
years. It's about nostalgia. And most of that nostalgia is gone when you
abstract away the platform itself.

Jo Even