[Freemint-list] Three CPU targets for *everything*

Jo Even Skarstein joska at online.no
Sat Feb 11 11:35:50 MSK 2017

On lø., 2017-02-11 at 15:25 +1000, Miro Kropáček wrote:
> For those who don't follow
> github: https://github.com/freemint/freemint/pull/20

To follow up my previous question - what is the point of this mailing
list?

My opinion is that such changes is exactly what should be discussed
here. Not because the list members have some sort of veto, but because
questions, objections and suggestions may result in a better solution
and/or implementation.

For this change I have lots of questions:

- How have you merged the 040 and 060 builds?
- Why is the 040 build considered useless?
- The Milan has a separate kernel for a reason. How are Milan features
detected now?
- How does the new build targets actually work? Are there less kernels
but with code to autodetect features (e.g. Milan), or is the number of
kernels the same but mintloader takes care of selecting which one to
load?
- How does mintloader load the correct modules depending on
architecture?
- What does this do to kernel- and distribution sizes? Memory
consumption?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against changes. But is your implementation
a suitable one? I have no idea, because I don't know anything about it
except that it somehow involves mintloader :) Maybe there are better
solutions? Or maybe this is a really good one? A discussion would have
highlighted that.

Jo Even