[Freemint-list] dosfsck which marks filesystem clean?

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Mon Jun 5 12:21:30 MSD 2017

On 05/06/2017 at 09:57, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> I think upgrading dosfstools is the right way.

Yes, definitely.

Additionally, I would like to propose a small optimization, similar to
MiKRO's original proposition.
It is quite unfair to set the dirty flag as soon as a filesystem is mounted.
Because, as long as nothing is written, the disk is not really dirty. So if
you boot with a partition which is never written and you don't shutdown
properly, then the partition will be flagged dirty, while it is actually not.
My proposition is to only set the dirty flag when data is written. And to
clear the dirty flag after the cache is flushed.

I remember I used that trick on Windows 95. When something was stuck and I
couldn't shutdown properly, I used the "sync" program from Sysinternals then
I pushed the Reset button. This way there was no data corruption, and that
damn Scandisk didn't show on reboot.

I don't say that the above is absolutely the thing to do in FreeMiNT, it is
just an eventuality.

--
Vincent Rivière