[Freemint-list] PPA for Ubuntu cross-tools

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Sun Jun 11 21:29:07 MSD 2017

On 11/06/2017 at 19:16, Jason Fergus wrote:
> Speaking of distros, it looks like the Jessie packages install fine on Debian Stretch as well.

Very good.

> I do have a question/comment though, has Ubuntu upgraded apt to be able
> to skip doing the -get?  I know Debian Jessie, you can just do 'apt
> install <package>' now.  I haven't used Ubuntu in so long, I'm not sure
> if the adopted that as well or not.

 From what I see there:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/445384/what-is-the-difference-between-apt-and-apt-get

It seems that the simple "apt" (versus apt-get) has been available on Ubuntu
since Trusty Tahr.

What I see is:
"The `apt` command is meant to be pleasant for end users and does not need
to be backward compatible like apt-get(8)."

I have never used that new "apt", though.
Concretely, I always use "aptitude" which has a nice UI.

--
Vincent Rivière