Re: Update-daemon for all FSes

Hmm.. let's face it we need a new system call Fsync() which calls each
filesystem device driver in turn requesting that they flush any buffers.
Filesystems which don't support this should just return an "OK doing it"
code.

It'd be up to the filesystem driver code what it did then.

Also... I think it would be a good idea if sensitive filesystems mounted
themselves read-only until such time as they have been checked by a
filesystem integrity checking program, such as Minixfs's. This would be the
safest way of going about things. The filesystem device driver could do the
checking itself at boot time if it felt like it. Currently I can't fsck my
system partition as by the time I can run fsck minixfs blocks fsck from
running on it!

Steve
Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).