Re: Hardware and 8MHz 68000 machines

Steve Usher writes

> Which is why I would suggest that TOS-domain processes should be assumed to
> be non-relocatable, provided with only contiguous memory and live in
> physical address space. Of course, all the normal hardware would appear in
> its physical address space whatever.

Sounds reasonable.  Should we add a domain mode, or simply assume that domain
1 applications are smart enough to run in virtual memory?  I personally think
it'd be safest to add a domain.

> Hmm... but the majority of Atari users are still running 68000 based
> machines. This means that we MUST cater for them if at all possible. Hence,

It would be a nice way to finally get the Atari crowd to go for the 030
and higher ranges if we would say:  forget the 68000.  I really don't
understand that even Atari themselves don't see this point.  I mean
1) developing MiNT and MultiTOS is plainly much harder if one keeps trying
to keep everything 000 compatible and 2) it is simply going to cost Atari
money because people will stick to their STs.  An average PC user upgrades
his/her whole system at least three times as often as the average Atari
user.  That's fine, but it shouldn't get out of hand.  The 68000 is history.
Developing a new system supporting history is foolish.

--
Annius V. Groenink | E-mail: avg@cwi.nl      |  Private & ZFC:
CWI, Kruislaan 413 | Office: M233            |  P.O. Box 799