Re: MiNT goes UNIX. I hope not.

Waldi Ravens,

> > So your interpretation of 'making the best out of MiNT' is to make Atari
> > computers behave as similar to UNIX boxes as possible?
>
> Only for those who want it. AFAICT Torsten did not propose to change the
> kernel in a way that it would not be possible to run Gemdos applications
> or to use tos fs.

 Jesus! Never thought about that! I'd quite like to see some changes, but
none of them would disable the use of GEM and/or pure GEMDOS applications.
I only think there's a point where the UNiX compatibility comes to a border
when you want to run it on TOSFS for example. That's why I suggest that the
tools and proggies of this to-be-defined standard should not take a great
care of GEM/GEMDOS `features' like the story with the filenames. This does
_NEITHER_ imply that it might be impossible to run GEM at all, _NOR_ that
there mightn't be other kits, which do take care of GEMDOS limitations.

 But for those who want it really UNiX-ish, you've got to jump over this
border.

 So you've got me quite right, I think, and most of this has to be seen as
a comment for the list, and not directly for you... :-)

so long,
TeSche
--
PS: If the above written looks weird, then that's probably because it _IS_.
Torsten Scherer (Schiller, TeSche...), University of Bielefeld, Germany