Re: stty 0; stty 19200 on modem1, 1 patch...

Thierry Bousch writes:
> Hello Juergen,
moin

> >  (ooh all these hacks, we really need `real' tty devices, for all ports...)
>
> Oh, yes we do.  I had attempted to allow remote logins using /dev/modem1
> and Stephen Usher's init-getty-login package, but found so many
> limitations that it was almost unusable.

 yup my hack also can only work for uucp because my uucico does all
these things itself that normally are in the tty driver...  like look
for carrier, etc.

 (do you know the story of the machine called watzman that had the
port in local mode?  every time it printed its name the modem said...
OK :)

>  This was the reason why I
> wrote modm0dev (it is on atari.archive) to implement a "real" device for
> the first serial port.
>
> It works quite well for my needs, and interfaces easily with init.  It
> offers two devices (/dev/ttyb for dial-in, /dev/cua0 for dial-out)
> mutually exclusive, with the usual semantics (I think) and able to raise
> SIGHUP and SIGINT when appropriate.  The main problem is that it loses
> characters at high speeds (19200bps) on my poor Atari ST; but I cannot
> determine where the problem really lies.  It would be interesting if
> someone else had tried this driver, and could tell more about this.

 hmm i even have the .zoo here, only did not test it yet because i
usually have the modem on modem2 (SCC) and run uucp @ 38400 bps...
anyway i'll have a look, maybe i can find something.

> Apart from that, I also have a (buffered and interrupt-based) device
> driver for the Centronics port, if someone is interested...

 yes why not...

> Thierry.
 cheers
	Juergen