MiniFS pl10 _serious_ problems.

At the suggestion of a number of people (no aspersions cast) I installed
the pl10 MinixFS, and (with serious qualms) ran fsck to upgrade
my filesystems.

Now, they're all broke 8(

More details would probably help:

First, my setup.  I'm running 1.10juergen-megapatched, with the net030
patches as well.

The machine is a TT/8, and I am running Hushi 4.27(?) as a harddisk driver.

The problems : On any partition I've written to, fsck gives me 'zone number
out of range in inode xxxxx', 'Inode xxxxx contains too many zones', and
thousands of zone and inode bitmap errors.

I've also had console spammage as a result of trying to read outside the
partition. (large numbers of error messages)

I can't delete the contents of /lost+found, and on at least one drive it
contains a subdirectory.

I have noticed that there is no update process running - I assume this is
because addroottimeout() exists and is being used...

I made a tar backup of one filesystem onto another in an attempt to save
some data (my tape unit has recently failed me again 8( ), and now
this filesystem is also damaged (if I had any brains I would have backed
up onto a TOS filesystem so I could minit and retry), and now this filesystem
is also corrupt.  tar tvvf on the backup file gives me some entries, then
a console message :

pid 20 (tar): Minixfs Zone Range Error Drive 1 Zone 218776392 Count 1
............. Minixfs: Bad Filesystem, Repair with fsck
............. Drive: Attempted access outside partition

This is all a bit distressing really - I have been really happy with the
performance of the MinixFS, and I can only hope this is something
that can be cured by backing up and re-minitting.

Any ideas?

--
# mike smith : miff@apanix.apana.org.au - Silicon grease monkey        #
# "The question 'why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical'  #