Re: some more 110h4 clues...

Torsten Scherer wrote:

>  How many getties do you run? If I start only one, evertything is fine
> for me too.

I don't run any getty at all when I start GEM. And if I start one,
I have no GEM, and init - getty - login - shell works alright.
I only get memory violations when I start GEM from mint.cnf, not even
when I start it from a shell... but this is very unstable:
A few patches before the system hung just after some key presses, and now
(with the select patches or something like that) it hangs only
after key presses in the Gemini-1.99-console.

I just remember something strange:
I think when I tried to start GEM after applying the latest patches,
I didn't deactivate sockdev.xdd and nfs.xfs... Everything worked
_with_ memory protection. Then I deactivated those two and MiNT crashed.
Maybe after the two daemon processes have been started, the problem
does not arise any more?  But I'm not sure about that.

>  One possible explanation would be that p_vfork() attaches the parent's
> basepage to the child and doesn't really copy it to something private and
> leave the original attached to where it was. This way a subsequent p_exec()
> would still have access to the basepage, but *not* if the parent has p_vforked
> again in the meantime, attaching the basepage to the second child. Hmmm, I'm
> quite uncertain about this, but maybe it can give another clue...

I think we're talking about different versions of MiNT (not surprising,
though, with all those patches).  MiNT itself does not use do_vfork,
not even in Pexec() (Or does it? Perhaps I missed something).
So I think the problem is only Pexec and not do_vfork.

Ciao,
Stephan

--
|      Stephan Haslbeck	       |    Fachschaft Informatik    |