Re: Files disappear

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Mats Loman wrote:

> >The second time, it happened while compiling RCS, so I started thinking
> >it was a bug in minixfs...  if I did 'ls -l', I saw _one_ of the RCS
> >binaries.  I could, however, do 'ls -l filename' and have filename show
> >up by itself, even though it wasn't visible during 'ls -l'.
> I can probably tell whats going on.. It's whose damn mintlibs again.
> According to the mintlibs files can be 31 character long but no more. Thats
> probably why ls and other utilites dont see filenames longer than 31
> characters. Take an look in limits.h and see for yourself..

I get something similar to this, but worse. I got the GCC2.6.1
distribution from Simon Gornall's site, and some of the objective-c stuff
contains long filenames. If I do an ls, I actually get the kernel hanging
(although I usually run with memory protection off so this could be the
same thing if things are really getting screwed by the mintlibs).

ATB,

Martin

* - <A HREF="http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d408x2";>WWW Home Page </A> - *