Slip Slidin' Away: Take 2

Ok, I have gone though all my messages on SLIP & PPP connections.  My company
has upgraded its terminal server, and left the PPP & SLIP options enabled.
Being the daring soul that I am, I decided to give my Mintnet setup a try.

Mint version 1.12h2
MintNet version 0.70

So, locally I have the loopback route set, and I have my local IP number set
to 192.0.2.1.  I start a program which I have called "terminal" (I don't
remember the original name of this program, it doesn't tell me when it starts
up) and dial into my terminal server (after using this program to set the port
rate to 2400...yes I know, 2400...the results of getting this set up will
determine if I get a 28.8 modem!).  After using my 30 levels of password
protection (Ok, so its only 2) I get to the terminal prompt where I type
"slip".  I then get the following:

Connected to Async interface 0.0.0.0
Your address is 47.31.132.4
<blah stuff about MTU set to 1500>

I then quit my terminal prog and issue the following command:

/etc/slattach -t /dev/ttya -r 47.31.132.28 -l 47.31.132.4 -s 2400 &

Where 47.31.132.28 is the IP number of the terminal server I am calling.
I have no idea what number I am supposed to put there otherwise, since I have
only used the KA9Q package in the past, and it only cared about the IP number
the terminal server gave me.  I got the ip number by loging into my shell
account and doing an nslookup.

So I do a ping or telnet or whatever to any machine not my own and nothing
gets through.  I see the lights flash on the modem as packets are being sent,
but nothing ever comes back.  It does set up the loopback correctly becuase
if I ping the IP number the server gives me, it pings my local machine.

Sources of problems:
1. I might not have an 8 bit "clean" connection.  I do not know how to verify
   this in any way shape or form.   I do know if I login to my shell account,
   it does <ctl-s> & <ctl-q> to start and stop the screen (whichever is which).
   I don't know if that is normal on 8 bit clean connections or what.
2. Maybe I'm not supposed to use the IP number of the terminal server in the
   slattach command?  Maybe some other IP number?  Anyone know which one (ok,
   I know not a specific one, but where I can find it out?).
3. Line speed wrong?  Unlikely since I set it with the terminal program and
   in the slattach command.  Do I need to set ttya to 2400 also (I've forgotten
   how to do that...).

If there is anyone who recognizes a problem, or you need more information to
help me, then let me know.  The success using this connection will determine
if I get a faster modem and/or if I take the plunge and get commercial net
access from home (to avoid all the firewalls here at work).

Thanks,
                                Troy Carpenter
                            Bell-Northern Research
                               Atlanta, Georgia
                                 troyc@bnr.ca

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*