Re: AES 4.1 in color Fails with all mh versions

M J Maisey wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jun 1995, Matija Grabnar wrote:
>
> > I just got AES 4.1 (no flames please, I'll buy it if it becomes available)
> > It works perfectly in monochrome, however, if I start it in colour it
> > crashes. The only way to make it work, is to run Multitos with original
> > MiNT 1.12. I tried mh-mint-12h2, h3 and freemint, and they all crashed
> > with new AES in colour (tested with 16 colors on 4MB, TOS 4.04 Falcon)
> > The symptoms are more or less the same - seconds after the boot is completed
> > (and the mouse is slightly moved) the mouse disappears, and the whole system
> > jams tight.
>
> I mailed to the list some months ago with the same problem, which I found
> existed when MiNT was not compiled with -DMULTITOS. Some people were not
> able to reproduce it so nothing was done at the time, but I have exactly
> the same setup as this guy and exactly the same problem, so it could be a
> clash with TOS 4.04.
>
> Could I ask whoever's managing FreeMiNT/NetMiNT in the future for the
> standard binaries to be compiled with -DMULTITOS in future? I have found
> no problems using my binaries compiled this way with single-tasking GEM or
> a full MiNTOS setup, so I can't see what harm it's going to do.

It would be better to fix this bug once and for all than to work
around it forever.  Obviously, people who can reproduce this problem
are predestined to track it down and fix it.  (Hint! ;-)

If you are not able to fix it yourself, you could try some
experimenting.  For instance, does the problem go away if you run MiNT
without memory protection?  Are you using "INIT=" instead of "GEM=" in
MINT.CNF?

Michael
--
Email: hohmuth@inf.tu-dresden.de