tin/getenv

Hi everyone,
   I'm trying to compile tin for news access via NNTP.  The compilation
is complete and when run tin talks via NNTP and gets all its information
correctly.

However, I seem to have a problem reading the TERM environment variable;
tin reports that "the TERM variable needs to be set...".  My TERM
variable is set (to stv52, or whichever terminal type I am in).

The offending piece of code is:

	if ((p = (char *) getenv ("TERM")) == NULL) {
		fprintf (stderr, "%s: TERM variable must be set to use screen capabilities\n", progname);
		return (FALSE);
	}

It seems that getenv is returning NULL and unfortunately I can't find
a man page or the source for getenv.

If somebody can fix this line for me, or send me a man page for the mintlibs
getenv, I can quickly complete the port and make it available to others.

Yours,
                       Andrew.