Re: PPP does not work

Hi,

Dirk Stadler (dirk@lstm.uni-erlangen.de) wrote:

> I have some troubles to get ppp (KGMD-Distribution) work. After succesfully connecting to my PPP-Provider
> (University Erlangen-Nuernberg), traceroute and ping only give me a NETWORK UNREACHABLE. I did not change
> anything on the configuration files, except changing telephone numbers and the chat script for my needs.
>
> (I had no problems  a slip connection so far (not with the KGMD-Distribution))
>
> What I wonder is, that I do not have to give IP numbers of the local and remote hosts, and that

Normally your provider has to assign you your IP address. If he does
not, you can get any IP address you want, which can be a big security
hole. This is why I left out the IP addresses in
/etc/ppp/samples/home-dot-ppprc.

You can add the line:

LOCALIP:REMOTEIP

to your .ppprc if you want or have to. See pppd(8) for details.

Your PPP connection is active if both local and remote IP addresses
are assigned. You'll see something like that on the console:

Sep 23 09:14:07 mymachine pppd[15172]: local  IP address 192.168.50.1
Sep 23 09:14:07 mymachine pppd[15172]: remote IP address 192.168.50.5

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |    UUCP/ZModem/Fax: + 49 89 5469593     | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!