Re: Minix partition problems

> >seemed OK. There were lots of error messages at bootup, but I put
> >this down to AES4.1, or just some FSCK stuff. There didn't seem to be
> >anything fatal going on.
> >
> >A second attempt to reboot, however, ended in failure to even see the
> >partitions - let alone boot from them. I finally got them back by
>
> Did you try to reboot in TOS-mode in between these reboots? That might have
> foxed your partitions :-(

Nope.

> I've got a 128Mb M-O drive on my TT and always use a disk with MinixFS on
> it in the drive. I haven't encountered any problems with this setup,
> however I use HD Driver instead of ICD. This *may* be handling removeable media
> better than ICD, especially under Mint/MinixFS.

I've been using the MO successfully for some time now, with no
problems using the ICD software (even when changing media mid-
session).

The problems really started when I tried to add a Zip drive to the
setup (why I need a MO _and_ a zip is far to complex to go into
here). Basically the connection of a zip to an ST (rather than Falcon
or TT) seems fraught with difficulties - I'm still working round some
of them. Essentially it now appears that it was the addition of the
zip that fried the MO disk - I suspect the SCSI terminations are a
bit wibbly ( <-technical term).

> Are the partition ID's on your disks all correct? ie are the Minix ones
> 'MIX' instead of 'BGM' or 'GEM'?

Erm.... no actually! It doesn't seem to have been the cause of the
problems, however, and always worked fine like that in the past.
Anyone know how to change them - and why I need to. They currently
appear in the ICD utils as BGMs - can I just overtype this, or is it
the result of minit?

Ironically, the reason for my original post no longer applies! Having
temporarily given up on the MO, with only 3/4 of the partitions
working, I tried to reconnect the zip. It zapped the MO again, so
again I used the ICD utils to scan the disk for existing partitions,
and rebuild their header info. This time, however, all four
partitions reappeared (still no accs though - I think they're long
gone), so I now have access to all my vital data again. Time for a
backup I think!

>From now on, until I'm sure the zip is correctly attached and
working, I've decided to boot from floppy, and remove the all
important MO disk. Ain't computing fun?!!!?!

Cheers,

Xav <mbge4mdc@fs1.ee.man.ac.uk>