KGMD / C News problem

I hope this is the right place to ask this, if not please accept my apologies.

I have installed Taylor Uucp and C News with my KGMD setup. Everything runs
fine (I can send and receive all my mail and news no problem) until I run
doexpire. When I receive my next batch news and C News tries to unbatch it
I get a lot of errors like this:

	pid 120 (rnews): fifo not on list???

When I get about 5 or 6 of these errors the system will lock up on me with
the error saying:  FATAL ERROR. You must reboot the system.

When I look in the C News errlog file the lines read like this:

database files for `/usr/lib/news/history' incomprehensible or unavailable
(domain error)

Does anyone know whats wrong? Is there a bug in the doexpire script? Is there
another program or script I should run after doexpire?

Another minor problem I have is with the modem ports. Uucp will only work on
the modem 2 port of my Mega STE. PPP will work with both ports but if I
download any binary files on modem 2 they aways get corrupted. They download
fine on modem 1. I am using hsmodem6 on both ports. Anyone have any ideas on
this. I getting tired of switching my modem cable from port to port.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad