Strange gcc "feature"

I was rebuilding W1r2 last night using gcc 2.5.8 (the TOS version... argh)
and noticed something VERY strange.

W's library has w_bitblk and w_bitblk2, in w_bitblk.c and w_bitblk2.c.  I'm
happily making the system, and it comes time to link the server.  Hmm,
w_bitblk2 is undefined.  Strange.

So I look in libW.a...  what do I see but w_bitblk.o: w_bitblk and
w_bitblk2.o: w_bitblk!  ARGH!  The cpp from 2.5.8 (in Gnustuff/Tos/...
on atari.archive) appears to be doing something REALLY stupid.  It's not
really truncating to 8 chars or anything like that, it's just picking
the first match on similar filenames!

This feature got me twice, with a longer-but-similar set of filenames (I
think it was w_querywinsomething).  Hmph.

--
Chris Herborth, R&D Technical Writer       Arcane  Dragon     chrish@qnx.com