Re: audiodev

> >converted sound blocks go through Fwrite before audiodevice can play
> >them.  You'll notice this even more when you 'cat' samples to /dev/audio
> >as then there's also a disk read...
> Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Former or latter? :-)

For former one could code the smod player mod->sound data conversion
routines in assembler or borrow the code from other player(s).

For latter, don't use 'cat', use a program that reads the sample into
memory wholly (assuming it's not too big) and outputs it only then
to the device. You could for example use my wplyer at:
	http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~puujalka/w1r2.html
Or my GEM player at:
	http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~puujalka/misc.html

> There are MOD players that DO work on an STfm - maybe not with MiNT.

Well, there's Paula and some other tracker which work on the background.
However, playing mods on the background slows machine too much on STfm
and the sound quality is also unbearable. Only mod player for STfm with
a good playback quality (<-blocks interrupts) and resolution independency
(->correct timing) I have found is PT-player. All of these programs need
GEM :-(.

> However, from my perspective, the device mechanism isn't efficient enough
> to take advantage of my hardware.

Your problem is the mod-player...

	- Eero