Re: ALERT.ACC

> Does anyone know if it's possible to send a message to ALERT, for it
> to appear as an alert within MTOS, and if so, how would I do it? I
> want to be able to do it from a shell command - I've tried echo'ing
> to /pipe/alert in several different formats, but to no avail.

Just use the system call Salert to send a message to /pipe/alert. If
no process is reading /pipe/alert the string will be written to the
standard output of MiNT.

> Whilst I'm on the subject of echo'ing, can someone tell me how I'm
> supposed to echo a character, based on it's ASCII value. I tried the
> method mentioned in my Unix reference book, but it just echo'd the
> control string itself. I tried with and without quotes. Essentially I
> want to send a string to clear the screen (or TOSWIN pty).

Some echo's require an additional flag (I think its -e) to recognize
and process escape sequences.

Wolfgang

----
Wolfgang Lux
WZH Heidelberg, IBM Germany             Internet: lux@heidelbg.ibm.com
+49-6221-59-4546                        VNET:     LUX at HEIDELBG
+49-6221-59-3500 (fax)	                EARN:     LUX at DHDIBMIP