Re: MiDI driver for MiNT-net?

> > Erm...There's a problem, I think. Each machine that recieves it will try
> > to route the packet according to their routing tables, IIUIC. That would
> > mean that a packet that arrives at a machine for which it is not intended
> > will go back out the 'default' route. That will mean that a copy of the
> > packet would bounce around the network until it's TTL expired. (Multiplied
> > by the number of 'incorrect' receivers, unless sequence numbers squash
> > them).
>
> Presumably there has to be some further processing done here.  As far as I
> can see you would need a link level to -
>
> 	register a machine on the ring with a unique address

Erm, why? Yes, you can, but is it necessary, beyond the basic IP address?

> 	monitor/add/discard packets on the ring
>
> I don't think you should be reducing the IP TTL at each station on the ring
> - only the machine that sends it off the ring (c.f. a 'normal' router).
I didn't say it was the _right_ thing to do. But it is the default
behaviour. Every time a packet is sent down an interface the TTL goes down
by one. Even if it is the loopback interface, and the packet is spinning
in circles.

We do this as routing traps commonly, on the net, when we need to kill
traffic for (or from) an address. If the TTL didn't go down, it'd be
disasterous.

> My thoughts -
>
> 	- each machine on the ring has a an id (max 16?) and it passes

There's no base protocol on MIDI, since it's just serial. Any number of
ID's that take your fancy. Up to 2^32, or 2^64 if you like.