Re: MiNT VM on Falcon

> I am happy I am back to this list. The follwing notification has been sent
> to Profesore, the author of MiNT VM kernel routines, but he seems to be
> busy to deal with it. I hope however we should deal on further development
> of VM kernel to make it stable and running at least on all 030 machines.

I will put up a new source tree soon on my homepage...

As to MiNT development my main priority right now is Fenix which is coming
along quite well.. This means that I haven't got the time to fix a version
for Falcons or 040/060 machines.. I'm interested in patches though...

The VM extension is working quite well on my TT ie it never/very seldom crash
however other TT owners (Mario Becroft) have had problems. I wrote the extension
to be able to test some features of the 030 MMU for Fenix's vm system I then
found that it was very usable (at least to me) so I released it..

Before you start working on a proper falcon version I have some bugfixed sources
(the version I'm currently using on my TT) that I will release with Draco's patches
applied. Wait for them! The sources on my homepage have some bugs in the pager which
could explain some of Draco's experiences...

I wouldn't recommend using vm on machines with very little memory since trashing
will occur. Also like amiga and mac programs tos/mint programs aren't generally
written with vm in mind. This means that the VM extension might swap interrupt
handlers out yielding a lookup. The mmu handling itself is stable and has nothing
to do with the memory protection's mmu handling. I will answer any question
regarding vm's mmu handling.

Regards Sven Karlsson - Istari Software