RE: Security stuff

> The point is that you can't run GEM remotely (via telnet). If you're able

So what happens if you try? I would have guessed that it would just open
the windows etc. on the host machine (like X does if you have permission
and dont change the display variable).

> to run GEM, it mostly means, that you're root on the machine, and the root

"mostly". This implies you dont *have* to be root, which means you could
have GEM apps that were more secure.

ISTR the reason for this was to make ths system safer from trojan horses
- but all you would have to do is write a GEM based net-app, and then
you have root access while online. Have I missed something?

If GEM apps are insecure, isn't CAB a rather large hole, as all you need
is a modified cab.ovl or whatever to cause damage - and with cab-for-mintnet
source available, this would be relatively simple to hack...

> I thought it was so simple, that most people could understand it. But I

Not everyone here has a multi-user setup (eg. me), and I doubt many people
have triedrunning GEM apps over a telnet session...

Anthony