Re: Cookie jar patch for Supexec/Super patch?

> > > I originally proposed a system call that would read a cookie, set a cookie,
> > > destroy a cookie, and get a list of cookies - this call would also read the
> > > hz_200 variable, and a few others as if they were cookies.  The cookies were
> >
> > That's good idea. :) Of course, we can add TWO calls, one for reading
> > GEMDOS variables (various ones) and one for Cookie Jar management...
>
> I still can't see the reason for this changes: MiNT is NOW TOS, and so
> can't be made more secure than TOS. There are thousands of programs which
> access the supervisor areas (Cookie, variables) and you can't hope they
> will ever be recompiled with new MiNTlibs. If you make the changes the
> programs won't run under new MiNT anymore? If yes, the new MiNT will be
> useless.

Petr, this security discuss is so far only a discuss. Nobody has
introduced any security oriented function to the kernel so far. But
generally, in my honest opinion, such a fix is possible. Your "thousands
of programs" accessing GEMDOS variables in supervisor mode, are mostly
GEM applications. If (future) Super()/Supexec() would be root only,
these programs will still work if your run GEM as root.

As for Unix-like tools and applications (like these included into the
KGMD), they can be recompiled.

> For real Unix like kernel please use Linux, it works very well and has
> all protection features already implemented. As for current MiNT, I would
> be happy to get memory protection working under 68040 and 68060. For
> standard 68030 a working virtual memory would be the best possible thing
> to add/change.

For memory protection on 040/060 I can't promise anything, but after my
last work, the VM extension for 68030 is very close to get fixed. I think
I know now, what's wrong there :)

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz

mail:draco@nidus.mi.com.pl
     draco@irc.pl
     draco@piwo.bl.pg.gda.pl
     conradus@avanti.orient.uw.edu.pl
     conradus@plearn.edu.pl
     draco@nuova.id.uw.edu.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus/
 IRC:[Draco]

*** Ea natura multitudinis est,
*** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur.
*** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono
*** unizenie, albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.
                                           (Liv. XXIV, 25)