X-problems

Hello,

some months ago, when my computer had 4 MB RAM, I unistalled the X server
from my KGMD setup to save some disk space, because MiNT X doesn't work
very well on 4 meg. When I got 14 meg, I have reinstalled the X from
scratch, grabbing the X11R5 package from ftp.fu-berlin.de. Additionally,
I've installed fvwm (which was missing). Generally it works, but there are
several problems, which I am unable to solve by myself:

1) xdm doesn't allow me to log in. The login prompt appears, but when I
   type in my login/password, it appears again after a while. Probably a
   file is missing (.Xsession?) or I have to edit a file. Which one and
   what to do in it?

2) xman bombs. Actually it's only able to display its own manpage, but
   nothing else.

3) xconsole window opens, but only to say "Couldn't open console"

4) it seems xvt (and some other programs) need have ptys installed.
   The file /usr/bin/X11/pty is started from MINT.CNF (even twice, because
   the version I have seems to be able to install only 2 ptys), but it
   apparently prevents telnet from working locally. That is, if any pty
   is installed, telnet localhost produces a message "telnetd: /dev/ttyp0
   error" when invoked from a text console or hangs the terminal when
   invoked from within xvt.

5) X server sometimes hangs (locks the machine up) while quitting
   (i.e. the message "waiting from the X-server to shut down" appears -
   sometimes only partially - and nothing else happens).

6) when it does not hang, it produces an additional message:
   "/usr/bin/X11/startx: /a: not found". Besides, it seems the xinit
   tries to send something (actually it seems this "something" are all
   regular files found in /home/root) using Mail. For a reason, it is
   unable to find /home/root/Mail (it has permissions rwx------ and Mail
   itself has no problems finding it) to perform the operation its going
   to do. What it tries to do and what (TF) for?

7) I am unable to compile fvwm 1.2.4r which I have found in fu-berlin in
   source form. When I follow all the rules described in docs and finally
   dispose "make all", it says: "Makefile:262: *** missing separator.
   Stop". The makefile is generated automatically by xmkmf and the line
   262 (and everyting later) looks like a C source.

8) the file /usr/lib/X11/config/atari.cf contains -fstrength-reduce for
   the compiler. Am I supposed to change it to -fnostrength-reduce if I
   am using gcc 2.7.2? I heard 2.7.2 generates wrong code when this
   option is on. Is this true?

Thanks in advance

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail:draco@mi.com.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur (Liv. XXIV, 25)
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.