Re: minixfs boot disk?

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> What disk editors support Minix?
> Those I have all try to read/write/repair the FAT table.

What I meant by "disc editor" was a program that lets you edit the disc by
hand (edit each byte on the disc manually). Also referred to as "hex
editor" or "sector editor," I have never been able to determine what is
the proper name for these things.

I usually use DADE, supplied with Diamond Edge 2, although this has some
problematic bugs. There are probably others that are much better, but I
haven't bothered to look.

If you want a program to do the equivalent of repairing the FAT on a FAT
filesystem, you need fsck which should certainly be on your "boot disc."

> For a shell, I have TCSH. Maybe I should use BASH instead?

Personally I prefer tcsh, but this is just my opinion. You would be better
to choose whichever shell you prefer.

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                 http://www.pl.net/user/mario      |\__/,|   (`\