Re: gethostbyname() in ksocket?

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Howard Chu wrote:

>>  Is there a particular reason that gethostbyname() and related functions
>>  aren't included in the kernel version of the socket lib? [...]

> I doubt there's any major reason. Just that there was never any particular
> need for it before.

Unfortunately, I discovered the reason while trying to "port" it.  The
problem is that res_init() and some of the other functions that
gethostbyname() et al. use internally read files like /etc/hosts and
/etc/resolv.conf using fgets(), which calls read(), which calls Fread(),
and the whole point of ksocket is that you can use it in places where you
can't use things like Fread().  Blech.

						-sbigham