Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

>> >If you run MiNTOS on a standard ST you're probably not using GEM (that
>> >would cripple both MiNTOS and GEM) anyway. The biggest problem would
>> >probably be the lack of memory, I can't imagine that you can do
>> >anything sensible with Linux on a 4Mb machine without VM.
>>
>> Hopefully there are several memory extensions for ST up to 16 MB of
memory.

>> BTW, have you noticed the 68000 Linux kernel takes only 76 kB of memory?
>> don't get it - the regular 68030 kernel takes more than 500 kB...
>
>I did not see it, but I am not really surprised.  How big does
>Linux _need_ to be?  (I don't know, I'm just asking...)

I just wonder - if they took normal 2.0.33 kernel (7 MB of tar.gz source
code), what kind of compiler they used that the resulting binary was only 76
kB? It sounds like they've rewritten it into pure assembler... :-)

Actually I know they compiled it by gcc... Perhaps they disabled all device
drivers and everything. But still just 76 kB ? That's shorter than MiNT ;-)

Petr