Re: "Linux ported to non MMU system"

>> AFAIK, MiNT has always had adaptive priorities (it was advertised by
Atari
>> corp. IIRC)
>
>I'm not sure about this, I know you can adjust priorities "by hand"
>though.

No, I remember that Falcon was shipped with Multitasking operating system
with adaptive priorities scheme (well, I can't write it exactly, my RAM is
not that good). Basically an application having keyboard I/O (or being in a
top window?) should get higher priority (perhaps not visible in top).

When I am thinking about it now - it might have been a feature of AES 4.0,
not MiNT kernel itself...

>> >makes sense, in addition to give more time to the UI it should also
>> >speed up compilation etc. a bit.
>>
>> I can't see how this can speed up compilation, since compiler is not an
>> interactive task.
>
>If you raise the priority for processes that does heavy IO then gcc
>should be on top :-)

you mean disk I/O? How can you measure that in MiNT?

>Btw. I tried to link the gcc binaries from /ram, as well as use the
>-pipe option, and it speeded up the compilation of NcFTP by ~20% :-)

what's /ram? and what is the -pipe option? I need to speed up my compilation
time - my development cycles are too long (usualy two to five minutes of
recompiling PARCP or Atari800 - I hate that!)

Petr