Re: Supervisor mode & multitasking

> > Please note that all applications launched from GEM (basically, from
> > desktop) are executed with root privileges.
>
> True, although in the future it would be nice to have this point changed
> if possible.

I am seeing it this way:

- GEM should run as root. BTW. I'd like to have an AES daemon, which
  activates only if a graphical shell (like Thing) is started.
- GEM starts the shell (desktop). The desktop is also root.
- the desktop executes some sort of GEM login, then switches uid/gid
  to the selected one.

So I think it might be useful to incorporate login code to Thing desktop
(displaying MODAL dialog box at the beginning).

This way we can avoid rewriting the whole GEM for multiuser, just to fix
the desktop. The question is, what to do with XBIOS. Shall be local user
allowed to use it (for playing mp2 for example)?

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail:draco@bl.pg.gda.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus/

** Quem Iuppiter vult perdere, dementat prius.
** Kogo Jowisz chce zgubic, temu wpierw rozum odbiera.