Re: Preparing new distribution...

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Thomas Binder wrote:

> > > would you like to have /etc in your PATH?)
> >
> > You're confusing /usr/etc with /etc. :)
>
> Unfortunately, he isn't. There are some system which put a lot of
> binaries into /etc (e.g. ping on HP-UX).

brrr... is it that bad?

> Or did you just want to point
> out that there are other systems "abusing" /usr/etc for binaries as
> well, like IRIX?

No, just that the original posting (I'm loosing track a little.. <g>) was
about daemons in /usr/etc and the reply was that no binaries should be in
/etc. Anyway I agree that /etc should contain no binaries at all, and
/usr/etc should be abolished alltogether. :) (It's the most inconsistent
dirname in the whole kgmd) :) And I guess most of the current /usr/etc
stuff can go into /sbin but I'm not going to interfere with that
discussion too much since all *n*x I've seen so far is mint/kgmd and
mint/taf, the rest is intuition. :)

Maurits.

---

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /