Re: several important questions

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 06:05:13PM -0500, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
[Howard Chu wrote:]
> >  2) MiNT "kill process"
> >
> >     According to 3 books on Unix I've read, Control-D is the standard
> >     "kill process" command, but MiNT uses Control-C.  Any reason?
> >     Since Control-C was already reserved by GEM for Clipboard, it would
> >     make more sense to stick to the Unix standard, wouldn't it?
> >
> >The 3 books on Unix you read must have been written by CP/M experts.
> >The default interrupt character in Unix is the pound-sign ('#'). Normal
> >practice on BSD systems is to reassign it to Ctrl-C. Ctrl-D is reserved
> >for EOF, and has never been commonly used as the interrupt character.
>
>An example, quoted from "Rescued by Unix, p.24 (A.Hansen), Jamsa Press":
>
>"To log out, you can use the 'exit' command. [...] An alternative that
>works on most systems is Ctrl-D. This key combination sends a code that
>stops a running program, such as your shell."

Yes, but because (as Howard mentioned) it is in effect telling the shell,
"no more input", i.e., EOF.  It does not signal() any process, as do
Ctrl-C and Ctrl-\ (SIGINT and SIGQUIT, respectively).  The program is
free to continue; the logical thing, however, for most programs accepting
input from stdin, is to exit when there is no more input to be
processed.  The wording in your book is, unfortunately, a bit
misleading.

--
			--Michael

Michael Hill   <><  Isaiah 9:6 | "Perfect peace, mountains robed in glory
Michael_Hill@csgsystems.com    |  Coming into view
Aerospace/Software Engineer    |  Father speaks, Son becomes the story
CSG Systems, Inc.              |  Essence of all true"
http://www.qadas.com/~msh      |         --King's X, "Out of the Silent Planet"
---In a marketplace (like the one of ideas), not everything has equal value!---
Did you ever notice that everybody in favor of abortion has already been born?!