Re: more gcc/mintlib questions

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Howard Chu wrote:

> We might consider just single-character tokens for 16 bit int and 68020,
> e.g. 's' for short int, and '2' for 68020 libs. I'm also thinking about
> putting these in the suffix, instead of the filename, e.g.
> 	c.a, c.as, c.a2, c.as2

It occurs to me to wonder why we're trying to encode all this information
in the filename itself.    My first instinct would be to put it in the path
name:

	libc.a
	mshort/libc.a
	m68020/libc.a
	m68020/mshort/libc.a

As with the above, on would need some convention for the ordering of the
subdirectories; and analogous to Yves' suggestion, one might want the
linker to try a certain sequence of subdirectories if, for instance, the
command line says -mc68020 but there's no `020 lib of exactly the right
flavor.  This does have the potential to develop into a small forest of
subdirectories, but it's not that much worse than having a small farm of
variations of the same library with slighty different names.

						-sbigham