Re: new distribution...

> I'm not sure how big of a package you have in mind, but support
> for 68000 machines is somewhat hampered by the lack of memory
> protection and CPU functions only found since 68020.

Which MiNT /programs/ *require* MMU/MP?

I doubt compiling code for 68000 instead of 68020 is going to
increase the code side / slow it down noticably for >=68020 CPUs
as most programs (especially daemons) are I/O bound.  If you
disagree, please provide statistics.

It would be nice though if there where separate binaries for programs
where the processor type *would make (noticable) a difference*.  For
example programs which could use FPU.

> IMHO, the only MiNT package we can honestly provide to ST users
> is a limited bundle similar to what my QEMD-ST includes. Anything
> more would likely be unusable on an ST, because of speed and CPU
> functions not being up to par anymore.

Not being up to par and not being usable are /completely/ different
matters.  I did W stuff on a STfm and now test the MiNT functionality of
W under STonX which emulates (2x faster than normal) ST(e).

Running several daemons at the same time on slow machine isn't that
demanding as waiting in select() doesn't eat lots of CPU.  You just
need lots of RAM (the 4MB limit on STs is more serious though).

	- Eero