Re: SPIN problem?

schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de*RFC-822*%INTERNET wrote:

> Julian F Reschke <fjr010@email.mot.com> writes:
>
> |> here's what I found regarding the problem that gnufind (4.1) does not
> |> recurse
> |> through subdirectories of an ISO CD mounted through SPIN! (in this case
> |> I ran under MagiC, but that shouldn't matter...).
>
> Use find -noleaf.  RTFM.

Very interesting. For those (like me) who didn't have a manual for gfind
(because I only got the binary), I'm including the relevant section.

 - Option: -noleaf
     Do not optimize by assuming that directories contain 2 fewer
     subdirectories than their hard link count.  This option is needed
     when searching filesystems that do not follow the Unix
     directory-link convention, such as CD-ROM or MS-DOS filesystems or
     AFS volume mount points.  Each directory on a normal Unix
     filesystem has at least 2 hard links: its name and its `.'  entry.
     Additionally, its subdirectories (if any) each have a `..'  entry
     linked to that directory.  When `find' is examining a directory,
     after it has statted 2 fewer subdirectories than the directory's
     link count, it knows that the rest of the entries in the directory
     are non-directories ("leaf" files in the directory tree).  If only
     the files' names need to be examined, there is no need to stat
     them; this gives a significant increase in search speed.

Maybe I can do something so gfind will be happy with the link counts
without
that switch, but don't hold your breath.

Regards, jr