Re: MiNTlib PL48 released

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> The code in crtinit.c for extracting the argv from the environment
> doesn't handle quoted filenames correctly. Modern desktops (Thing,
> Gemini) use ' for filenames that containing special characters, e.g. a
> blank. If you doubleclick the file <i:\with blank> it would be send as
> 'i:\with blank' to the program.
> The code in crtinit.c (PL46, PL47) split this name into two args:
>     argv[1] = 'i:\with
>     argv[2] = blank'
>
> I've implemented a simple parser that looks for ' in the cmdline. It
> create a correct argv:
>     argv[1] = i:\with blank
>
> Please test it out and integrate it into the next PL. I've test it only
> with PL46 for PureC.

I don't know whether I'm missing somthing obvious here, but surely this
could get very confusing. Wouldn't mean that all the software, including
the command-line tools, would respond to quoted filenames? And since this
has never been the case before, wouldn't it cause some existing things
that use the ' character in the command line to function incorrectly?

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                    http://www.pl.net/~mario/      |\__/,|   (`\