Re: Apostrophe in argv

On Fri, 22 May 1998, [ISO-8859-1] Jörg Westheide wrote:

> MB>However I think having de-quoting built in to the mintlibs so that
> MB>apps cannot avoid it would be a very bad idea.
> Why?
> What do you think are the problems with it?

If you refer to the previous messages, you'll see that I thought this
would cause incorrect operation of programs when you need to pass
apostrophes on the command line. While new software could be made to avoid
this problem, existing programs would all need to be changed, and it would
become non-portable to other UNIX systems. IMHO these problems make it a
bad idea to incorporate this into the mintlibs.

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                    http://www.pl.net/~mario/      |\__/,|   (`\