Re: Slow keyboard Input from some GEM programs...

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:

> I have the same problem, in both n.aes and aes 4.1. I don't exactly know
> what nohog does, but if I run singlegem without nohog, my keyboard doesn't
> work at all. :)

I hope you're not running NOHOG under N.AES or AES 4.1...

> Anyway n.aes seems terribly slow (and is blamed for it by almost everyone
> who tries mintos for the first time!!) but the keyboard response is normal
> when just running mint+n.aes (so no mintos).

Exactly *how* do you start N.AES? Also, the running-order in c:\auto
might affect this, I vaguely remember experimenting with this when I
first got N.AES 18 months ago. Something with NVDI and Videlity
IIRC...

My auto-folder looks like this (AB- and Nova-stuff removed):

C:\AUTO\

XBOOT.PRG
NVDI.PRG
FFSEL.PRG
CLOCKY.PRG
METAXBS.PRG
JPEGD.PRG
TOGGLE_B.PRG
DRVIN.PRG
SCC.PRG
MINT1154.PRG

Videlity/BlowUp should run after MiNT. Note: ScreenBlaster does *not*
work with MiNTOS!

N.AES is started directly by init on console:

# /etc/ttytab.vt - ttytab mit den Eintraegen fuer die Virtuellen Consolen.
console		"/c/n_aes/n_aes030.sys"		st52	on secure

[The rest of ttytab is standard KGMD]

This works fine on my Falcon/Afterburner, it also worked fine before I
got the AB.

> > You should also run 'top' and check which process that's hogging your
> > system.
>
> AESSYS is on 21%, the rest is almost zero. (While checking this I found

This sounds about right on a standard Falcon, although I believe
AESSYS should use a bit less (~12-15% IIRC, but that was on a 20MHz
Falcon).

> another interesting thing: At some point one of my two getty's suddenly
> jumped from 0% to 35% without any attached machine actually being switched
> on, and typing performance reduced even further, now also on the vcons
> it's impossible to type normally. the minix partition is now being
> accessed once every 5 seconds. I noticed this before but now I know getty
> is to blame.) :)

Another thing you should pay attention to is your MiNTnet-setup. I
discovered that if I had established a route to my TT, and the TT was
off-line, the Falcon got extremely slow (0% idle) if I tried to access
the TT. It stayed that way until I rebooted it. However, I don't think
your problem is related to this. I suggest that you should experiment
with the N.AES-setup, including the running-order in the auto-folder.

/*
**
*/