Re: VME and MiNT

On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 10:28:39PM -0400, eonic man wrote:
> Is there any support for "off the shelf" VME cards for the MegaSTE?
> I've had my MegaSTE for some years now (along with my Falcon) and I never see
> any mention of the use of VME for this computer other than Atari specific
> cards.  Is the VME on the MegaSTE somewhat bastardized where as it couldn't
> utilize the DSP and Graphic cards available for other systems with VME?  Now I

The VME Bus in both MSTE and TT does not implement the full VME standard: it
can't do arbitration (meaning a VME card does not have access to the system
memory), and the memory area is limited to 16MB (TT) or 2-4MB (MSTE).

> possible to create some general drivers that would allow plug and play of VME
> devices on MegaSTE, TT, and Hades systems?

VME is no Plug-and-Play-capable bus system like PCI: you have to know which
cards are inserted and which addresses they require, and it is your task to
set jumpers etc. on these cards so that multiple cards do not overlap in
address space, interrupts etc..

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen