Re: MiNTnet

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Katherine L Ellis wrote:

> 2) MiNTnet doesn't support ip masquerading, Ok no big deal until then,
> But it becomes more and more clear that this is a must have for such
> an OS (MiNT), many people do have many cheap atari they would like to
> connect together for a LAN.

I agree this would be a very handy feature. I tried to get SLIRP working a
while ago, since it offers basically this feature, but it didn't work out
of the box, and I don't know enough about networking to fix it.

> 3) PAP doesn't seem to be 100% efficient like it should.

I set up PAP under MiNTNet for a couple of people here, and it works
absolutely fine. I don't know if this is your mistake, or because your ISP
is different to the ones here (and therefore the bug shows up with you but
not for me).

> Anyway, is MiNTnet a thing from the past, like a masterpiece of Ray

Shouldn't that be Kay?

> which nobody even dare to improve? or maybe I am missing some recent
> updates? I don't know. Thanks...

I don't think so. I believe nobody has improved MiNTNet. Unfortunately I
don't have the knowledge to be able to do this. But surely there's someone
who does, somewhere?

--
| Mario Becroft             | Tariland, Atari user group in New Zealand |
| mb@tos.pl.net             | tariland@tos.pl.net                       |