Re: [MiNT] MiNT termination

Hi!

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 09:29:37PM +0100, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> Additionally, I would be for moving the function of killing all processes
> from MiNT to init. I.e. init, when hit by SIGTERM or similar signal, would
> kill everyone (its children), then terminate. So if init terminates, the
> kernel could assume that there are no processes left, i.e. just do some
> Sync(), then straight reboot.
>
> On systems without init.prg, ie. where AES is used, would be the same.
> I.e. the AES would only care on killing children at shutdown time, then
> it would exit, what would be a signal for the kernel that it should reboot
> the machine.
>
> I believe this also would solve the problem with assert from pipefs.c
> sometimes occuring while shutting the system down.
>
> Any comments?

Well, I think that KGMD's init.prg is very limited, and should be
replaced with a more sophisticated one. I'm thinking of runlevels and
other nifty stuff. A port (if not already done by someone) could then of
course use MiNT's Shutdown() function on receiving SIGHUP (reboot?) and
SIGTERM (halt?)

I wouldn't opt for changing MiNT's exit behaviour, as it may be useful
for some people.

Ciao

Thomas

--