Re: [MiNT] DHCP or a like wanted for min

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 03:58:18PM +0100, Barry Schut wrote:
> >However, you only have one machine, so I don't see why you should need a
> >DHCP server - you would still have to know your IP, since the DHCP server
> >will only assign IP numbers tp *other* machines on the net.
>
> one? i think i have even more then you... (5 computers)

Is that a request to start counting machines? ;-)

I have(only those networked): TT, Milan, two PCs, DEC Alpha, Sparcstation
ELC (plus some experimental machines / mixed parts that are only connected
when used). And I can live great without using DHCP ...

> >Might it be that you need a DHCP *client* instead, so that you can get the
> >IP number that your provider assignes to your machine (via DHCP)?
>
> yups 8^)

Great. Do you need DHCP to get the IP number(s) from the other side, or can
you get these via the PPP handshake, and you need DHCP only because the
other side insists that you ask via that protocol?

> Normal = as we know it... Abnormal it is when hell brakes loose and the ISP
> is WINBLOWS 95  oriented (ie uses windows server software), and in this case
> that means i need to have both...

No - even in case of Win9x, the usual way seems to be to just use PPP for a
dialup connection.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen