Re: [MiNT] MiNTlib - new functions

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999 20:14:54 +0100, Michael Schwingen wrote:

MS>I strongly oppose functions in the library that mangle filenames in
MS>any way if it is made default and can´t be turned off.

Well. The readdir() returns all TOS FAT filenames in lowercase. This is
default and it´s inbuilt in the library. But nobody minds it even if it
mangles every single filename (filenames on TOS FAT fs are stored in
upper case physically).

I have suggested to check the destination filesystem type and if it´s
TOS FAT fs I wanted to let the filename convert so it wouldn´t write
spaces and other dangerous characters to disk. Please note it would
check and convert the filename only if the filesystem couldn´t handle
that!

You know, writting the file name as it is (say "HELLO WORLD") causes
very bad things to your directory structure, that´s clear. Fixing it in
every application ever written or ported with MiNTlib *is* possible, but
takes a lot of work and time.

I don´t care if it won´t be included in MiNTlib as I have already
included it in PARCP. I just wanted to offer a solution for a vulnerable
place.

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer