Re: [MiNT] Thing question...

Hi!

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 07:40:05AM -0800, DarkChyld [Ronald J. Hall] wrote:
>   Okay, now that I'm running at 800 x 608 x 256 colors, I have a question
>   about my Thing desktop. When I re-arranged all my groups, icons, etc, I
>   saved my Thing setup. No problem, but right after, another dialog box
>   opens up, asking me if I want to save the info to the old (640x480) inf
>   file (something about resolution-dependent apps). So should I say yes
>   or no? Thanks! ;-)

That depends. Thing offers so-called "fallback" files for resolution
dependent settings, like desktop icons, colors, etc. This means, if
Thing can't find one matching the current resolution and color depth, it
will look for one which contains settings for a "smaller" resolution
(i.e. resolution and color depth are <= the current).

Without this, you'd been presented the default desktop configuration in
800x600, but as this feature exists, you saw the desktop as you've saved
it in 640x480.

When you now save the configuration, Thing will ask whether you want to
keep these resolution dependent settings in the fallback file, or prefer
to safe them specially for the current resolution.

Saving to the fallback file is useful if you want to have one desktop
and color configuration for all resolutions and color depths (or from a
certain resolution onwards). But keep in mind that you shouldn't save to
the fallback file for 640x480x2 when you've installed a background
picture with 16 colors, or when you've positioned icons outside the
640x480 rectangle.

As far as I've understood your posting, you've already arranged your
icons in such a way that they use the new space they've been offered by
the higher resolution, so it doesn't make sense to save to the fallback
file, then.

Ciao

Thomas

P.S.: That's all in the documentation, btw. ...

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de
PGP-key available on request!  binder@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de