Re: [MiNT] sending diffs to Apache and others....

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> I mean, we ported all those, but visiting the official web sites
> of those organizations shows that MiNT is never listed among the
> supported platforms.  (btw, amiga is always shown there - why is
> MiNT not there too?)
not entirely true.

Python for MiNT.
micq (the author knows about MiNT and mentioned it somewhere, doc? page?
don't remember.)
pine talks about MiNT afair.
perl same I think.

and I think mutt.. (not sure on this one)

the prob I think is: should we be proud of the name "atari" for MiNT?
like, atari-mint, or should we try to avoid the name as much as possible
to NOT give the wrong impression to some people..

coz anyway, atari has nothing to do as of today regarding us, the users.
Most of us don't even use machine made by atari corp,
(hades/medusa/milan/Clab...)
So, what's left of atari corp? well, basically TOS is the common point..
Not "atari" per se.
Might want to drop all any atari reference in the output of uname for
example.

Also, qfunk, one of the reason software don't mention MiNT in general,
it's because the users that port it to MiNT don't improve the src to also
compile for MiNT, but rather modify it until it works.
(I am one of them).
so, a nice: make MiNT
or playing around with some #ifdef MiNT
is always prefered, but we failed at that. (me included, coz I suck in C).

Also, we don't have a real preset of rules for MiNT
compatibility/portability.
some soft work directly right out the box. NO modification whatsoever.
Some require a lot of changes.
And the thing is that we don't know sometimes which other Unix OS we are
closer. Sometimes linux, sometimes bsd etc.

anyway, just thinking :))

                                            /
MiNT Is Now TOS, let's move on, shall we?  /
                                          /