Re: GPL, was: Re: [MiNT] uname -X ??

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 01:14:54AM +0000, johnnie ligotage wrote:
> >
> > I kinda like 'FreeMiNT'. (Sometimes I wonder about the legal status of
> > releasing, and charging for, the MiNT98 CD).
>
> There are two parts of code on the CD: a complete MiNT distribution, which
> (of course) is GPL, and the Admintools and some drivers, which are
> copyrighted.
>
> The GPL does not prohibit charging money for GPL'd code - I could sell MiNT
> (or Linux ...) CDs for $10.000 without getting in conflict with the GPL. You
> have to supply sources on request (but the MiNT CD contains the sources
> IIRC, so that should not be a problem either).

Sorry! I guess my context wasn't consistent. I understand the GPL. Isn't
"MiNT" still the copyright of Atari, or JTS? Watch your screen while you
boot 'FreeMiNT'! :-)

And I `vaguely' remember someone (Eric R. Smith?) pointing out to this
list, that that was so. (The only email I can find on my system (due to
recent crashes :-( ) is from Konrad in November 1997).

Salut/.

J/.
__
John Blakeley