Re: [MiNT] DATE/TIME cookies

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 19:44:00 +0100, Jörg_Westheide wrote:

J>JW>They encourage programers to access memory owned by the kernel of which I
J>JW>think it should be forbidden.
J>PS>read-only access should not be harmful I think.
J>But it will not work if the kernel will be removed from the applications
J>address space some time

OK, so what if FreeMiNT allocated two word blocks in a global memory and
´mirrored´ the internal datestamp and timestamp variables into those
vars in global memory? By mirroring I mean that routines updating date
and timestamp would also update the mirrored_global_dateandtimestamp.
And of course the ´DATE´ and ´TIME´ cookies would point to the global
blocks.

This would solve the private memory problem but it´s getting rather
complicated. I doubt FreeMiNT would do that to support just one or two
TSRs.

A real reentrancy for (some?) GEMDOS calls would be better (even if I
had to check the MiNT version before calling the GEMDOS from interrupt -
heh, this could be a good reason to dump the FreeMiNT version from 1.15.x
straight to 2.0 so we could document "FreeMiNT since v2.0 allows calling
GEMDOS from interrupts" :-)

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer