Re: [MiNT] Memory protection

Jeorg wrote:
>Hi Michael!
>
>MW>1) (current) None - current "mintnp.prg".
>MW>2) (new) Pagination - Uses unprotected pages.  Prevents memory leaks
>MW>         by using pages, but provides no memory protection on those pages.
>MW>         This would be supported on 020s - 060s.
>MW>3)  (current) Full protection, as is today.  With expansion into the 040
>MW>              and 060s (someone'll have to test the 060 stuff, at least
>MW>              until I get one :).
>Wouldn't it be possible to combine #2 & #3?

Actually, #3 should already be that way.  The problem is that a number
of the new protocols (e.g. OLGA) don't work well under memory protection
(so I hear, anyway).  Hence was born #2, which is less powerful than #3
but more flexible.

There are still a number of issues I have to work out, though, before
I'm ready to propose anything solid.  I also have to understand how
the code currently works, especially if I need to make major additions
to it for #2.

Michael White (michael@fastlane.net)